Christmas is right around the corner and besides the usual Christmas cookies, I like to make at least one treat that is extra special. I'd been thinking : chocolate plus peppermint...who good would that be? Then Donna found this filled cupcake recipe on the internet using white chocolate and peppermint kisses and the baking frenzy began! Donna made the cupcakes while I was sous chef, cleaning countertops, washing bowls and crushing candy canes ( my favorite part). Oh yes, I also frosted the cupcakes.
The secret for delicious decadent cupcakes is using my Pipka Fillable Cupcake Pan which I import from Germany. The center for the filling is quite large so the cavity of each little cake can be loaded with compotes, fruit, frosting, ganache...anything a heart could desire. Our cupcakes have a Hershey Peppermint Candy Kiss in the center which explodes in your mouth when taking the first bite of the cupcake. We added one Kiss to each cupcake but I think adding two Kisses might be be even better. You can't have too many kisses!
When the cupcakes are baked and slightly cooled, you just flip them over to expose the indentation and fill it with the Kisses.
Them pop them back in the oven for a couple of minutes, remove and tap down the centers of the softened Kisses so they fill the cavity.
Add frosting and crushed candy sprinkles and you have the perfect Christmas treat!
After frosting the cupcakes, place them in the fridge for a while to set the frosting but when you are ready to serve the cupcakes, be sure you serve them at room temperature because that hidden Kiss under the frosting will get hard again in the fridge and you want to be sure it's soft and creamy when you eat the cupcake. Add a tiny candy canes or store bought cupcakes toppers for that extra special festive touch.
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup white chocolate, melted
Preheat oven 320 degrees.
Generously butter and flour the Pipka Fillable Cupcake Pan
1. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
2. Beat eggs with a pinch of salt until foamy. Set aside in a separate bowl.
3. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. Add sour cream and Pipka’s Vanilla extract. Mix, then add flour and
5. Add melted white chocolate.
6. Add eggs and gently mix together on low speed. The batter will be thick.
7. Spoon the batter into the cupcake tins, 2/3 full. Wet fingers to push batter
down to remove air bubbles.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. When done, cool on a rack for 8 minutes, rap the pan on the counter and flip cupcakes onto the cooking rack. When slightly cooled, transfer the cupcakes to a clean baking sheet, place a Kiss in each center and return to the oven for 2 minutes. Remove and tap the Kisses to get them to fill the cavity. Let cool completely before frosting.
White Chocolate Buttercream
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup white chocolate, melted
2 teaspoons Pipka’s Vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons cream
6 small peppermint candy canes, crushed
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla salt.
3. Add cooled white chocolate
4. If necessary, add cream to bring frosting to piping consistency
5. Fill a large piping bag with a star tip and pipe frosting on the top of each cupcake.
6. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Set in fridge to set. Serve at room temperature.
* If the melted white chocolate hardens, just place it in the microwave for a
few seconds and stir.
* Crush the candy canes by placing them in a zip top baggie and smashing
them with a hammer.