Updated: Jun 5
My granddaughter, Ava, and I make this easy recipe often. It’s a simple, yummy treat that is a great way to get kids into the kitchen. Scotcheroos (aka Rice Krispies Bars with Peanut Butter and Chocolate) are great for snacks or a lunchbox surprise!
Once the kids make an easy treat like this, they will be more open to actually baking something. And working together in the kitchen is a great way to bond with each other. So get the kids in the kitchen!
· 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter
· 4 cups mini marshmallows
· ½ cup smooth peanut butter
· 1 Tablespoon Karo Syrup
· 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
· 8 oz. chocolate chips
1. Melt the butter and Karo syrup in a large pan over low heat. Add the marshmallows. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peanut butter until it’s melted. Add the Rice Krispies and stir until well coated.
2. Press the mixture into a 10 x 10 x 3 buttered baking pan. Let cool completely.
When the bars are cool, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave oven stopping to stir every 5 seconds. When it is partially melted, take it out of the microwave and stir until completely melted. Drizzle the chocolate over the bars or spread it over the entire Rice Krispie mixture like a frosting. Let it set before cutting into squares.